Our eye care center shares eye exercises to soothe tired eyes
At the end of every long day spent working at the computer, the symptoms of eye strain set in. Eye fatigue, headaches, redness, scratchy dry eyes... What can you do to prevent and fight this painful problem?
Your eyes are vital to all parts of life, and taking care of them properly will give you endless rewards. Eye exercises can help strengthen your eye muscles, boost eye health and relieve tired eyes. Our optometrists in Overland and St. Charles recommends doing the following eye exercises daily.
- Rolling: Sit straight, relax your shoulders and look forwards (not at a screen!). Roll your eyes in all directions; repeat 10 times.
- Blinking: Slowly close your eyes and slowly open them again; repeat 20 times.
- Pressing: Press your fingers gently on your eyelids for about 10 seconds. Slowly release and open your eyes. Repeat 10 times.
- Cupping: Close your eyes and cup your hands over your eye sockets. Stare into the back of the dark space for about 30 seconds.
- Palming: Rub your palms together until they’re warm and place over your eyelids. The heat will relax your eye muscles. Repeat.
- Wall writing: Imagine that your eyes are lasers, and use them to write words on a wall that’s about 8 feet away, for about 20 seconds. Rest and then repeat several times.
- Zooming: Sit straight, extend your arm straight with your thumb up. Slowly bend your elbow, bringing your thumb closer to your eyes.
- Figure Eights: Lift your right hand straight in front of you with your thumb pointing upwards. Keeping your head still, gaze at your thumb. Draw a figure 8 in the air with your thumb five times. Repeat with the other thumb.
Our eye care professionals hope these exercises will help alleviate your eye strain! If you suffer extreme eye pain, it could be an eye emergency. Call our eye doctor in Overland or St. Charles for an urgent eye exam.
At Overland Optical Family Eye Care, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 314-254-2211 or book an appointment online to see one of our Overland eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!