Sports Vision is More than Keeping Your Eye on the Ball
Sports are an exceptional way to enhance your physical and mental performance. But sadly, they can also put your eyes at risk. In America alone, approximately 30,000 sports-related injuries occur each year! Fortunately, there are steps you can take to help keep your eyes out of that statistic.
As you get your body in shape, our eye doctor in Overland and St. Charles recommends the following ways to enjoy safe, top-ranking sports vision too.
The Riskiest Sports for Eyes
Airsoft and paintball are considered to be the most dangerous sports for your vision, followed closely by soccer and racket sports. If any of these are your game, be sure to book an eye exam and consultation for the most protective frames and lenses for sports vision.
In case you were wondering, the next most hazardous set of sports for eye injuries includes swimming, lacrosse, archery, football, hockey, skiing and snowboarding. Visit our Overland and St. Charles eye care center for advice on the best eye gear for whatever physical activity you favor.
Protect Your Vision & Eye Health
1. Protective eyewear: Frames and lenses made from impact-resistant polycarbonate are ideal.
2. Check the fit: Properly fitting frames for sports vision are critical. Consult with our eye care team to ensure your eyewear is a good fit.
3. Sunglasses: Overexposure to sunlight raises your risks for developing eye disease, such as cataracts or age-related macular degeneration. Choose sunglasses with 100% protection against UV rays.
4. Live healthy: Eat nutritious foods, maintain a healthy weight, manage any chronic conditions and don’t smoke!
5. Eye exams: A comprehensive eye exam is the only way to check if your eyes and vision are healthy. For the best eye care, share your family eye history with our eye doctor in Overland and St. Charles.
The above tips will go far towards keeping your eyes safe and in top shape for sports vision!
At Overland Optical Family Eye Care, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 314-423-3874 or book an appointment online to see one of our Overland eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!