Born and raised in Southern Illinois, Dr. Sara Schmitz completed her Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry at the Southern Illinois University in Carbondale and her Doctor of Optometry degree from the University of Missouri – St. Louis College of Optometry. Dr. Schmitz joined Overland Optical Family Eye Care in 2007 and has a special interest in primary care optometry, with an emphasis on ocular disease. This includes prescribing eyeglasses and fitting contact lenses as well as the treatment of ocular allergies, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy. She also specializes in foreign body removal and surgery co-management. Dr. Schmitz is a member of the American Optometric Association, the Missouri Optometric Association, the St. Louis Optometric Society, and the Heart of America Contact Lens Society.
In her free time, Dr. Schmitz enjoys spending time with her husband and her daughter. She and her family are big fans of all of the St. Louis sports teams and enjoy cheering on the Cardinals and the Blues.
- Southern Illinois University – Carbondale, BA Chemistry, 2001
- University of Missouri – St. Louis College of Optometry, Doctor of Optometry, 2005
- National Board of Examiners in Optometry, 2005
- American Optometric Association
- Missouri Optometric Association
- Saint Louis Optometric Society
- Heart of America Contact Lens Society